The Pacific Rim viral campaign begins
If anyone out there is still smarting that Guillermo del Toro didn't end up directing The Hobbit (there's always someone with an axe to grind who would've preferred Gollum to have eyes in the palms of his hands), surely the latest round of momentum-building Pacific Rim marketing will silence their whining.
Here are the dot points so far, in case you needed convincing that this may well turn out to be the coolest sci-fi flick since District 9:
- - Directed by Guillermo del Toro
- - Starring (in descending order of coolness) Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Ron Perlman, Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day
- - Features brave souls piloting enormous robots ("Jaegers") against giant monsters (Kaiju, in a tribute to the Japanese monster movie genre that del Toro is nuts about)
- - Special effects by Industrial Light And Magic
- - Original score by Ramin Djawadi (Game Of Thrones)
...And so on.
Anyway, the first bits of viral marketing - other than the poster, which debuted at Comic-Con International earlier in the year - have emerged. The first is an emergency broadcast test:
The second is this "leaked" official document, both of which come to us courtesy of Badass Digest via Total Film:
Word on the street is that an official trailer will soon follow. It's nice to see some genuine viral marketing - y'know, old fashioned, like back in the 2000s! - instead of the growing trend for trailer-trailers and their irritatingly empty ilk.
Excited? You'll have to wait until July 2013 to get your del Toro x Kaiju fix. In the meantime, go back and re-watch this Collider interview from Comic-Con time for some more Pacific Rim intel from the director himself.
UPDATE at 1pm: but wait, there's more!